Mexico Regulations (remember these can change so click the link below for updates):
- Upon leaving Mexico you must pay a 15% tax on items purchased in excess of $300 US. The purchased items can be combined among family members, including children/minors.
- If the value of the goods purchased is greater than $1000 per family member, after subtracting the $300 US exemption, or if any of the goods is subject to non-tariff regulations or restrictions, you must hire the services of a customs broker.
Learn more about Mexico Customs requirements.
US Regulations (remember these can change so click the link below for updates):
- Every 30 days, US citizens who have been in Mexico for 48 hours or more are allowed to bring back $800 worth of duty-free merchandise. The purchased items can be combined among family members, including children/minors. (For example, a family of 3: two parents and one child can import up to $2,400 in duty free items.)
- A flat rate duty must be paid on the next $1,000 worth of purchases
- Any purchases above the flat rate duty amount must be paid at the duty rates for those items.
- You are generally allowed to carry one liter of duty-free alcohol back into the United States for personal use.